Terms and Conditions & Online Adoption Application
The applicant must first read our Adoption Terms & Conditions then complete the online Adoption Application. The fastest way to accomplish this is by submitting our online application form. Although we are pleased to answer questions about the breed and the process, we cannot proceed until we have an application in hand.
Phone interview with RMSR Volunteer
After receiving the Adoption Application, an RMSR volunteer will call to conduct a phone interview.
The applicant is then added to our Wait List.
Meet a Rescue Scottie and its foster family
This first meeting usually takes place in or near the foster family’s home as this provides the opportunity for the applicant to see the dog in its most familiar and comfortable setting. If the applicant owns another dog, they should NOT bring him/her to this meeting.
If the applicant owns another dog a second Meet and Greet may be scheduled. This will be the opportunity for the dogs to meet. It is usually scheduled at a neutral site, often a park or open space near the applicant’s home. Ultimately, the resident dog will have the “final say” regarding the acceptance of a new four-legged member of the family. If all goes well at the neutral site the meeting often will move to the applicant’s home. With a resident dog, this will be the “make or break” moment.
Required Home Visit
RMSR volunteers will schedule a meeting at the applicant’s home. RMSR wants to see where and how a Scottie will fit into the applicant’s life. Where will s/he sleep? Where will s/he eat? What kind of yard will s/he play in? How will the members of the applicant’s household, including humans and other pets, interact with the dog? Home Visits are part of the process to help ensure a lasting placement.
Completing the adoption process
The applicant will complete and sign the Release of Liability and Indemnification Form, initial the Adoption Terms and Conditions, and tender a check for the adoption fee.
- All applicants must be at least 21 years of age.
- RMSR prefers to place rescue Scotties within the state of Colorado. However, we have placed Scotties in terrific Fur-Ever homes in surrounding states. Applicants must be able to travel to the Denver area to meet and/or adopt a rescue Scottie. The RMSR does not utilize commercial carriers of any kind to transport adoptable Scotties to their new homes.
- All applicants must first read our Adoption Terms and Conditions then complete the online Adoption Application OR applicants may download a printable PDF version of our application, fill it out, then mail it to us at the address provided.
- The adopter must complete a phone interview and a Meet and Greet with the adoptee (or a second if required) to RMSR’s satisfaction.
- The adopter must be willing to pay a reasonable adoption fee to help defray veterinary and foster care costs.
Our goal is to place each dog in the best home possible, based on his/her needs, personality and past history. Adoptions are NOT done on a first come, first served basis. Submitting an application does not guarantee the adoption of any dog. We are looking for the best available home for each of our rescue dogs.
Thank you for your interest in providing a needy Scottie its new, fur-ever home.